Apply to join the IEC team!
About the Organization
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF), and its affiliate the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC), are 44 year-old organizations that promote sound environmental laws and policies, provide a forum for environmentalists and facilitate a statewide activist network. IECEF engages in legislative monitoring and analysis; outreach, organizing and coalition building; and communication and education. IEC performs legislative advocacy and serves as the environmental community’s eyes, ears and voice in Springfield.
About the Position
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) is looking to build the policy capacity of environmental organizations within the Chicagoland area.
Deep technical knowledge of policy development is required, and energy issue expertise is preferred.
This position may be located in Chicago or Springfield, IL. The position is full-time and may include evening and weekend work, regular travel within the Chicagoland area, and occasional travel to Springfield, Illinois. The position will be in office with limited ability to work remotely.
We’re looking for a self-motivated individual who is excited by the challenge of addressing the biggest challenges facing Illinois by crafting creative policy solutions. You should be a stellar communicator who enjoys making complicated policies simple to understand.
We are a small, dynamic team that rely on each other to produce high quality work.
You want to be part of our team for a while and build a team of policy experts. You’re excited to not only craft the policies that will benefit Illinois for decades to come, but to develop our organization to be the trusted voice on environmental policy in the state.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. IEC/IECEF is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
- Engage in implementing clean energy policies, including policy, legal, coordination, leadership and/or outreach expertise as needed.
- Partner with clean energy stakeholders with an emphasis on grassroots supporters on policy solutions
- Analyze state legislation and communicate potential impacts to IEC member organizations, with a special focus on impacts to low-income and environmental justice communities.
- Track agency rulemakings and draft comments on behalf of the environmental community.
- Oversee IECEF’s work as part of the Illinois Clean Jobs Coalition, including other staff working on the project.
- Provide expert testimony for legislative committees and lawmakers, as needed.
- J.D. or Masters in Public Policy, preferred
- Expertise in energy issues, energy utilities and/or energy markets
- Experience working in and with frontline and/or environmental justice organizations
- Knowledge of state agency rulemakings, drafting public comments to regulatory agencies, and working with state statutes
- Excellent written communication skills
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft and Google software suites
- Ability to work with diverse groups and people
- Highly organized
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently
- Interest in environmental issues and policies
About Our Pay and Benefits
The Policy Director is a full-time permanent position located in Chicago, Illinois. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation. Salary range is $40,000 to 60,000, commensurate with experience. Cover letter MUST include salary requirements. Candidates with salary requirements above the listed salary range will not be considered.
If you want to join Jen, Matt, Colleen, Lindsay, Eliot, Jeff, Iyana, Tucker, Crystal, Alli and Sam in serving our affiliates and making Illinois a better place to live, work and recreate, please apply!
How to Apply
Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Show us your future here! We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time with the application. There’s no prize for being the first to submit! Stock cover letters won’t do. Tell us why you want this job.
Applications must be received by October 1, 2019.
To apply please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to
Jennifer Walling, Executive Director
By e-mail to: email@example.com
Please direct all questions to Jennifer Walling via e-mail.
IEC/IECEF is an equal opportunity employer.