Social Media Manager
Since 1975, the Illinois Environmental Council has worked to safeguard Illinois—its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends by building power for people and the environment. Representing over 100 environmental organizations and over 500 individuals in the state, IEC carries out its mission to advance public policies that create healthy environments across Illinois through education, advocacy and movement building.
What We Do
We advance sound environmental laws and policies at all levels of government by bringing together the Illinois environmental community to influence decision makers and ensure clean air, clean water and healthy communities. From lobbying at the State Capitol to building consensus around an annual environmental agenda, IEC takes pride in leading our environmental movement in Illinois. We coordinate our affiliate member organizations to share resources, mobilize supporters and respond quickly to the most pressing issues facing the environment in Illinois.
IEC also supports environmental activists across the state, building programs to cultivate the next generation of environmental leadership, such as our Young Professionals Board, Community Council, annual environmental scorecards and other educational programs like our Civics for Environmentalists and Lunch & Learn series.
About the Position
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) is looking to build the communications capacity of environmental organizations within Illinois. Deep technical knowledge of content creation and social media strategy is required, and issue advocacy communications experience is preferred.
This position may be located in Chicago or Springfield, IL. The position is full-time and may include evening and weekend work, regular travel within the Chicagoland area, and occasional travel to Springfield, Illinois.
We’re looking for a self-motivated individual who is excited by the challenge of addressing the biggest challenges facing Illinois by crafting creative social media content and strategies. You should be a stellar communicator who enjoys making complicated policies simple to understand.
We are a small, dynamic team that relies on each other to produce high-quality work. You want to be part of our team for a while and take our social media game to the next level. You’re excited to not only grow the climate movement in Illinois but to develop our organization as the trusted voice on environmental policy in the state.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our team. IEC/IECEF is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
- Coordinate with the communications team to plan and execute IEC’s organic and paid social media strategy
- Maintain and execute IEC’s social media content calendar
- Develop assigned content on a variety of environmental issues at the city, state and federal level across all IEC platforms
- Monitor IEC’s social media and actively engage with our audience
- Actively seek social media best practices and incorporate them into IEC’s social media
- Track and report social media performance indicators and develop proposed strategy recommendations accordingly
- Optimize IEC’s social media content while maintaining IEC’s voice, brand and issue positioning consistently in order to deepen engagement and grow our audience
- Develop social media guidance and toolkits for affiliates and external partners in IEC advocacy campaigns
- Elevating the work of IEC’s 100+ affiliates via social media, with special attention to our EJ and underrepresented partners
- Connect IEC’s outreach efforts with our voter database system
- Graphic design as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the communications director
- Prior experience running effective organizational social media accounts, required
- Experience developing content and social strategies for advocacy campaigns, strongly preferred
- Experience running paid social/digital ad campaigns, preferred
- Experience with voter database software, preferred
- Genuine enthusiasm for engaging with audiences over social media
- Experimental, creative mindset when it comes to developing content and implementing effective growth strategies across multiple platforms
- Proficiency in data analytics and visualization, a plus
- Proficiency working with website building software like WordPress, a plus
- Knowledge of the latest nonprofit social media trends in both organic and paid digital
- Experience working in and with frontline and/or environmental justice organizations
- Excellent written, inclusive, story-driven communication skills
- Strong judgment of appropriateness and adherence to organizational policy positions and brand reputation
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft and Google software suites
- Ability to work with diverse groups and people
- Highly organized
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently
- Interest in environmental issues and policies
- Written translation skills into Spanish or other commonly spoken languages in Illinois, a plus
About Our Pay and Benefits
The social media manager is a full-time permanent position located in Chicago or Springfield Illinois. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation. Salary range is $40,000 to $60,000, commensurate with experience. Cover letter MUST include salary requirements. Candidates with salary requirements above the listed salary range will not be considered.
If you want to join Jen, Colleen, Lindsay, Eliot, Jeff, Iyana, Tucker, Crystal, Aly, Paloma, Tonyisha, Ariel, Ben, Brian and Dany in serving our affiliates and making Illinois a better place to live, work and recreate, please apply!
Equal Opportunity Employer
IEC/IECEF is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, gender expression or identity, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, protective order status, veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, ancestry, religion, pregnancy, certain arrest or criminal history records, homelessness and use of lawful products outside of work during non-working hours or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Equity, Allyship and Powerbuilding Values
IEC/IECEF is working always to ensure that everyone on our team feels engaged and supported in all areas of the organization’s operations as we work to become a fully inclusive, multi-cultural and anti-racist organization.
We are only as powerful as the people in our movement and those we serve. Building power for people and our environment in Illinois requires us to actively combat social and political power dynamics that disenfranchise marginalized communities across a broad range of issues beyond those that fall squarely within traditional environmental policy. When marginalized communities are empowered, environmental protections become more possible. Thus we are called to stand in solidarity as allies with those fighting for justice and to strengthen our democratic institutions where power drives policy change.
How to Apply
Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Show us your future here and let us know where you’d like to take our social media programs! We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time with the application. Feel free to send us a portfolio of your digital work; we’d love to see it.
Applications must be received by 9/15/2021
To apply please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Tucker Barry, our communications director via email to: email@example.com
Please direct all questions to Tucker Barry via email.