The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) and Illinois Environmental Council (IEC) seek a self-motivated individual for the role of Development Manager.
This position may be located in Chicago or Springfield, IL. The position is full-time and may include evening and weekend work and travel within Illinois.
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF), and its affiliate the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC), are 43-year-old organizations that promote sound environmental laws and policies, provide a forum for environmentalists and facilitate a statewide activist network. IECEF engages in legislative monitoring and analysis; outreach, organizing and coalition building; and communication and education. IEC performs legislative advocacy and serves as the environmental community’s eyes, ears and voice in Springfield.
IECEF’s three priority policy areas are currently growing clean energy, reducing nutrient pollution, and conserving of open space, but the organization often expands the scope of our environmental policy work to suit the needs of our affiliate organizations.
Development manager is a new position for IECEF, which currently has six full-time staff members and a budget of over $500,000. This small and creative staff allows IECEF the flexibility to tackle new initiatives and events as needed. The development manager should be well equipped to lead and manage other staff to contribute to development activities. A key function will be working with the executive manager and board of managers to prioritize development activities.
Individual and major donor fundraising
- Identify prospects for donations by reviewing our extensive network of past board members, staff, donors, and volunteers.
- Begin a major donor program for the organization, including leading other staff to create relevant materials.
- Oversee the sponsorship requests for IEC/IECEF’s annual Environmental Leadership Dinner.
Grant management and writing
- Write grant reports and proposals.
- Track deadlines for grant proposals and reports to ensure that all proposals are submitted in a timely manner.
- Research corporate giving opportunities.
Planning and budgeting
- Assist in the creation of a development plan for IECEF.
- Work with executive manager, accountant, and finance committee of the board to draft and oversee the creation of a budget.
- Manage other fundraising events and activities as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Prior experience and success fundraising
- Prior experience managing projects and managing staff
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong analytical,strategic thinking and management skills, including an understanding of nonprofit financial statements
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Experience managing complex programs and balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Experience with donor database and fundraising software. IEC currently uses Salsa CRM, but that will likely change in the next year
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft and Google software suites
- Highly organized
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently
- Interest in environmental issues and policies
The Development Manager is a full-time permanent position located in Chicago, Illinois or Springfield, IL.
Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation.
How To Apply
To apply please e-mail a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
Jennifer Walling, Executive Director
Please direct all questions to Jennifer Walling via e-mail.