The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) seeks a self-motivated individual for the role of Community Outreach and Policy Director to build the policy and outreach capacity of environmental organizations within the Chicagoland area.
This position will be located in Chicago, IL. The position is full-time and may include evening and weekend work, regular travel within the Chicagoland area, and occasional travel to Springfield, Illinois.
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF), and its affiliate the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC), are 43 year-old organizations that promote sound environmental laws and policies, provide a forum for environmentalists and facilitate a statewide activist network. IECEF engages in legislative monitoring and analysis; outreach, organizing and coalition building; and communication and education. IEC performs legislative advocacy and serves as the environmental community’s eyes, ears and voice in Springfield.
- Engage in implementing clean energy policies, including policy, legal, coordination, leadership and/or outreach expertise as needed.
- Familiarity with the environmental justice movement and the priorities of the environmental justice communities.
- Identify and recruit new organizations to become involved in our work..
- Analyze state legislation and communicate potential impacts to IEC member organizations, with a special focus on impacts to low-income and environmental justice communities.
- Track agency rulemakings and draft comments on behalf of the environmental community.
- Lobby the state legislature, Cook County Board, and Chicago City Council on about the needs of environmental justice communities.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- J.D. or Masters degree, preferred
- Expertise in energy issues, energy utilities and/or energy markets
- Experience working in and with frontline and/or environmental justice organizations
- Knowledge of state agency rulemakings, drafting public comments to regulatory agencies, and working with state statutes
- Excellent written communication skills
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft and Google software suites
- Ability to work with diverse groups and people
- Highly organized
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently
- Interest in environmental issues and policies
The Community Outreach and Policy Director is a full-time permanent position located in Chicago, Illinois. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation. Salary range is 40,000 to 60,000, commensurate with experience. Cover letter MUST include salary requirements.
Extended Deadline: Applications must be received by February 15, 2018
To apply please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
Jennifer Walling, Executive Director
By e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please direct all questions to Jennifer Walling via e-mail.
IEC/IECEF is an equal opportunity employer.