Climate Communications Manager
Since 1975, the Illinois Environmental Council has worked to safeguard Illinois—its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends by building power for people and the environment. Representing over 100 environmental organizations and over 500 individuals in the state, IEC carries out its mission to advance public policies that create healthy environments across Illinois through education, advocacy, and movement building.
IEC advances sound environmental laws and policies at all levels of government by bringing together the Illinois environmental community to influence decision-makers and ensure clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. From lobbying at the State Capitol to building consensus around an annual environmental agenda, IEC takes pride in leading our environmental movement in Illinois. We coordinate our affiliate member organizations to share resources, mobilize supporters, and respond quickly to the most pressing issues facing the environment in Illinois.
IEC also supports environmental activists across the state, building programs to cultivate the next generation of environmental leadership, such as our Young Professionals Board, Community Council, annual environmental scorecards and other educational programs like our Civics for Environmentalists and Lunch & Learn series.
About the Position
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF), the sister organization to the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC), is looking for an experienced professional to manage a climate-focused portfolio within our communications team. This new role will work with our communications director to develop and execute climate communications strategy at the city, state, and federal levels to support IEC’s climate programs and policy goals in the areas of clean energy, equitable transportation, and climate policy implementation. We need new capacity on our team to help tell the amazing success stories of Illinois’ Climate and Equitable Jobs Act, and President Biden’s historic climate legislation, the Inflation Reduction Act and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
This position is located in Chicago, IL. The position is full-time and may include evening and weekend work and occasional travel within Illinois.
We’re looking for a self-motivated individual who is excited by the challenge of addressing the biggest challenges facing Illinois. You should be a stellar communicator with excellent attention to detail who enjoys building, executing, and evaluating strong programs and activities.
We are a small, dynamic team that relies on each other to produce high-quality work.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our organization. IEC/IECEF is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
Develop and Implement Climate Communication Strategies:
- Create and execute communication plans to effectively support IEC’s Climate program and policy goals in the areas of clean energy, equitable transportation, workforce, and climate policy implementation.
- Craft compelling, tested narratives that resonate with diverse audiences, including policymakers, the media, and the general public.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with journalists, editors, and media outlets to secure positive coverage of the IEC’s climate initiatives.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, and other media materials to proactively communicate the organization’s positions in traditional media channels.
- Organize and execute successful media events.
- Train and prep IEC and partner spokespersons for climate issues ahead of media appearances and public speaking engagements.
Digital and Social Media:
- Assist the social media manager in devising and creating digital content that amplifies key climate messages consistent with IEC’s brand and policy positions.
- Collaborate with partner organizations, community groups, and stakeholders to build a broad coalition in support of climate initiatives.
- Coordinate communication efforts within relevant coalition spaces to ensure a unified and impactful message.
- Organize and participate in public events, forums, and outreach activities to educate and engage the public on climate issues and policy implementation.
- Develop, copy edit, and design materials and presentations to support public engagement efforts.
- Manage IEC’s grassroots advocacy engagement to advance the program and policy objectives of our clean energy, equitable transportation, and policy implementation work.
- Utilize VAN data and IEC’s CRM software to curate, target, and maintain relevant audience outreach and data management.
- Two years of communications work experience required
- Experience working with non-profit advocacy organizations, coalitions, and community-based organizations preferred
- Professional experience communicating environmental or climate messages to diverse audiences a plus
- Experience working in and with frontline and/or environmental justice organizations a plus
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages other than English a plus
- Proficiency using VAN and CRM software a big plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency using both the Microsoft and Google software suites
- Ability to work with diverse groups and people
- Highly organized
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently
- Strong judgment of appropriateness and adherence to organizational policy positions and brand reputation
- Operate a computer.
- Sit at a desk for extended periods.
- Communicate and exchange information.
Equal Opportunity Employer
IEC/IECEF is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, gender expression or identity, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, protective order status, veteran status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, ancestry, religion, pregnancy, certain arrest or criminal history records, homelessness and use of lawful products outside of work during non-working hours or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Equity, Allyship, and Powerbuilding Values
IEC/IECEF is working always to ensure that everyone on our team feels engaged and supported in all areas of the organization’s operations as we work to become a fully inclusive, multicultural, and anti-racist organization.
We are only as powerful as the people in our movement and those we serve. Building power for people and our environment in Illinois requires us to actively combat social and political power dynamics that disenfranchise marginalized communities across a broad range of issues beyond those that fall squarely within traditional environmental policy. When marginalized communities are empowered, environmental protections become more possible. Thus we are called to stand in solidarity as allies with those fighting for justice and to strengthen our democratic institutions where power drives policy change.
About Our Pay and Benefits
The full-time permanent position is located in Chicago, Illinois. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation. Salary range is $60,000 -$80,000, commensurate with experience. Cover letter MUST include salary requirements. Candidates with salary requirements above the listed salary range will not be considered.
How to Apply
Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Show us your future here, and let us know what you’d bring to our organization! We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time with the application.
Applications must be received by 2/23/2024.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Tucker Barry, email@example.com