City Energy Policy Coordinator
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF), and its affiliate the Illinois Environmental Council (IEC), promote sound environmental laws and policies, provide a forum for environmentalists and facilitate a statewide activist network. IECEF engages in legislative monitoring and analysis; outreach, organizing and coalition building; and communication and education. IEC performs legislative advocacy and builds power for people and the environment.
About the Position
The Illinois Environmental Council Education Fund (IECEF) is looking to supplement our current city and energy work.
Previous experience with climate and energy policy or working with Chicago’s city council is desired. Previous professional work experience is required.
This position may be located in Chicago, IL. The position is full-time and may include evening and weekend work, regular travel within the Chicagoland area, and occasional travel to Springfield, Illinois.
We’re looking for a self-motivated individual who is excited by the challenge of addressing the biggest challenges facing Illinois by bringing together diverse stakeholders. You should be a hard working individual that is excited to take on any task.
We are a small, dynamic team that rely on each other to produce high quality work.
You are excited about the opportunity to make the City of Chicago a global leader on climate change. You like to work collaboratively with other organizations and community leaders.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. IEC/IECEF is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
- Track and analyse climate-related ordinances at the Chicago city council
- Draft, negotiate, and pass new climate ordinances
- Build relationships with city council members and city staff
- Develop expertise on technical energy and climate issues that impact the city of Chicago
- Review policies from other cities that could be adopted in the city of Chicago
- Develop relationships with environmental justice and community-based organizations
- Coordinate meetings, take notes, and otherwise provide administrative support to any coalitions or other convenings related to city energy policy
- Participate in City of Chicago climate stakeholder working groups and meeting
- Previous work experience preferred
- Degree in public policy, public administration, environmental issues, or political science preferred
- Expertise on climate issues
- Experience working with Chicago City Council
- Experience working in and with frontline and/or environmental justice organizations
- Excellent written communication skills
- Proficiency using both the Microsoft and Google software suites
- Ability to work with diverse groups and people
- Highly organized
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and work independently
- Interest in environmental issues and policies
About Our Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time position located in Illinois. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and vacation. Salary range is $40,000-60,000, commensurate with experience. Cover letter MUST include salary requirements. Candidates with salary requirements above the listed salary range will not be considered.
If you want to join Jen, Matt, Colleen, Lindsay, Eliot, Jeff, Iyana, Tucker, Crystal, Ariel, Tonyisha, Paloma, and Ben in serving our affiliates and making Illinois a better place to live, work and recreate, please apply!
How to Apply
Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Show us your future here! We value great writers, so be yourself, be creative, and take your time with the application. There’s no prize for being the first to submit! Stock cover letters won’t do. Tell us why you want this job.
Applications must be received by March 1, 2021.
To apply please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to
Colleen Smith, Deputy Director
By e-mail to: colleen@Ilenviro.org
Please direct all questions to Colleen Smith via e-mail.
IEC/IECEF is an equal opportunity employer.